[IN] A visit to the Kangra Valley Narrow gauge railway - Part 1

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

RailScapes

Hi everyone,
I am a new poster here but decided to join the site after many years of viewing Roni's and others excellent trip reports here in the international railway section. Last winter I spent two month in India travelling and photographing the vast rail system. India's rail network is primarily broad gauge but small pockets of narrow (2ft 6" and 2ft) and metre gauge still exist. The first part of the trip was to the Kangra Valley Railway in the north Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. This line runs on 2ft 6 track and is the most "authentic" of India's hill railways, still primarily serving the local population rather than tourists.
The trip started with a journey onboard the train from the lines start in Pathankot to Kangra where the really scenic part of the line begins. The railway currently operates with a fleet of MAK powered diesel hydraulics. The first part of the trip report can be found at my wesbite here: http://railscapestravel.com/2018/05/02/the-kangra-valley-railway-part-1/
A few pictures below:
Pathankot Junction, note the 0.1 KM post
P1050268.jpg

Meeting an opposing train, check out those semaphores! The lower segment of the line see's very heavy patronage and the trains are often overcrowded.
P1050283.jpg

Typical IR scene with many people riding on the footboards.
P1050320.jpg

An atmospheric scene as we wait for a crossing at Guler Station at sunset.
P1050346-2.jpg?zoom=2.jpg

P1050376-2.jpg?zoom=2.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the photos, more from the following days soon, or check my website for more.
- Nikos Kavoori

Thanks guys, glad you liked the shots. Especially appreciate the compliments Roni, you're work, especially from India has long been an inspiration!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back