Decoding Steam Locomotive Markings

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Yankee Joe

This is a picture of the #302 Georgia RR 2-8-2 Mikado in the Augusta museum. What do the markings under the road number mean? I know F63 is the class but what do the other numbers mean?

Attachments

• 1572556955507.png
    1572556955507.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 252
Thanks Bruce and Bill, I appreciate the help. This started because I have a unmarked Pacific Light 4-6-2 I wanted to mark as #254 from the Georgia RR. I have everything figured out except the numbers on the side of the cab below the large 254. Was hoping it was the same as the Augusta #302 2-8-2 Mikado but now I know its not. Based on the information I found over on steam locomotive dot com #254 iIm guessing should have P60 22/28 31.9. Does that sound right?
4-6-2 GA 254.jpg
4-6-2 GA.JPG

Thanks Joe

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back