Columbia SC hot spots

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

SAXT1

SAXT SITE OWNER
Well looks like I get to get the ball rolling for the state.
In the Columbia area we are served by Amtrak (trains 91 and 92) CSX and NS. Both carriers have yards here. There is a warning that everyone in the area gives out. STAY away from the NS Andrews yard. Visitors are not welcome on the property. City of Columbia Police does patrol the property and they do have the power to arrest.
Now the CSX Cayce Yard ( Located on State Street in Cayce SC) in another story. They are very much rail fan friendly and fans are welcome 24 hours a day. The best area for watching ops at Cayce is the north end of the yard (state street). On the south end is CMC Steel with a completely restored and working Alco RS11.
Our local hot spot is Devine Street Jct. This where both CSX and NS cross each other at grade.
Devine Street Jct.jpg
This area is safe for train watching. Fans are just asked to stay off of railroad property. The area is patroled by CSX, NS ,USC, and columbia police. Normally they won't say anything as they are used to seeing fans there. If you coming to this area feel free to shoot me a message and I'll be more than happy to give you the dfme tour.
Run Eight
SAXT1

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently (early 2016) started train watching around Columbia for the first time in many years. Is Devine Junction still an okay spot for train watching? I've been through there a few times recently, but haven't seen anyone in the area. Thanks for any updated information.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back