Can someone please tell me what this rebuild is?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Steve Young

1550563787247.png

MWLX is the reporting mark for Mid West Locomotive Works. Given that it has standard AAR-type trucks, it may well have been rebuilt from an Alco, but Mid-West, like the other locomotive rebuilders, tend to apply their own model designations to the locomotives they rebuild. This one has obviously been rebuilt from the frame up; it has a completely different hood and cab to an S-4. The exhaust stack is at the other end of the hood to an S-4, so it has probably been refitted with a new prime mover as well. What I'm asking is, does anyone know the Mid-West model designation for this locomotive, and hopefully someone can tell me what prime mover it's been refitted with, as well.

I looked up the Midwest Locomotive Works roster on The Diesel Shop and Railroad Picture Archives. Neither roster was current and MWLX 240 did not appear in either. I did note that all of the MLX rebuilds are EMD products, including some SW9's. Neither roster gave MWLX model designations.

Early EMD switchers used AAR type trucks with the drop equalizers. I will guess that MWLX 240 started life as an SW9 or similar small EMD switcher, but who knows how much of the original unit remains after rebuilding, including the prime mover.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I might have been barking up the wrong tree. (Sorry, bnsf971!) I think I have incorrectly assumed that Mid West were the rebuilder. The 'Green Plains' misled me; it probably isn't a Tier 4 repower at all, because Don Ross's page shows some old photos of this unit in the same configuration. I wonder where it is now?
http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr2754.htm

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back