Camcorder question

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

UP Salina Sub

Railfanius Extremus
Got a question for fellow camcorder owners: Just bought a new Sony Handycam SX44 camcorder yesterday, and I read something in the manual that worried me. it said this:

" When the temperature of the camcorder,or battery pack becomes extremely low, you may not be able to record or play back on the camcorder,due to the protection features of the camcorder being activated in such situations"

The operating range in the manual was listed from 32 degrees F to 104 degrees F (Said the same in my old Fuji camera manual as well)

Are they referring to extended times of use below 32 degrees (as in several hours continuous)? I've operated my current Fuji camera in colder temps than that,and it worked. I'm out at most 90 minutes at a time, this includes waiting for the train I'm filming to show up,and for it to pass me. In between trains I go back home and wait there. I wil have it wrapped in a warm cloth, inside an insulated camera bag. Will I be ok here?? I didn't buy it to not use it year round

My camera (which I got just last year) is the same way...you should be just fine using it when it's below freezing. There is always the chance of a "Lens Defect" like I had on my old camera that I got in 2008 but I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

UP Salina Sub

Railfanius Extremus
My camera (which I got just last year) is the same way...you should be just fine using it when it's below freezing. There is always the chance of a "Lens Defect" like I had on my old camera that I got in 2008 but I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
I figured I would be, My old Fuji has the same operating temp range, and it's worked well in the cold. I'll have it inside a sock (clean) to help it stay warm when I'm not using it . Hope to be using it tomorrow

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com