Been kinda quiet on this forum regarding the 4014.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

The digital age is a double-edged sword. The bad is, everybody know all about it, and it's impossible to get anything resembling a good shot without a hundred people in the frame.
The good news is, with everybody owning digital equipment, we aren't awash in a sea of discarded little yellow film boxes.

Itsed65

Lots of great stuff on Youtube and Flickr. Unfortunately I couldn't take time off work to drive 800 miles away and join thosuands of people chasing it all over.:rolleyes:

As a side note, is Steve Lee still active in UP's steam program?

Unless he hired on at a young age I would think he is getting close to retirement.

Mr. Lee retired from UP back in 2010 or 2011 and I believe he's now working for Wasatch Rail Contractors. He may still consult with the steam program folks (either for Wasatch or independently) but I haven't heard for certain if he's done so recently (or at all).

Mr. Lee retired from UP back in 2010 or 2011 and I believe he's now working for Wasatch Rail Contractors. He may still consult with the steam program folks (either for Wasatch or independently) but I haven't heard for certain if he's done so recently (or at all).
That is correct. Steve Lee is no longer a part of the UP Steam Program. According to confirmed rumors, (I can't reveal my source), he was "retired," due in part to intentional speeding. Apparently he pushed the UP #844 over 90 mph for an extended period, while already authorized for 85 mph, which was over the 79 mph posted. With corporate rail culture being what it is, that wasn't going to fly. As far as I know he does indeed contract for Wasatch Rail Contractors and has been recently involved with the Western Pacific Railroad Museum in Portola, CA.

Last edited:
I had every intention of heading to Wyoming for the 4014's debut but I had a busy spring and it ended up being too late before I thought about going out there. I'll catch it here next month for sure!

Bill Anderson

Trains published a special issue on the Big Boys. One article discussed changes to the mainline between Ogden and Cheyenne (curves, tunnels, etc) necessary to accommodate the larger locomotives. This got me thinking as to where the 4014 can run.

I assume it can still run between Ogden and Cheyenne as it did in the 40's and 50's. No tunnels or tight curves east of Cheyenne to Omaha that I know of, so I assume it is cleared for that mainline as well. Were there any clearance problems on the transfer from LA to Cheyenne after the loco reached the mainline?

Any guesses as to which UP lines may be off limits to the 4014 once it is ready for the road?

Trains published a special issue on the Big Boys. One article discussed changes to the mainline between Ogden and Cheyenne (curves, tunnels, etc) necessary to accommodate the larger locomotives. This got me thinking as to where the 4014 can run.

I assume it can still run between Ogden and Cheyenne as it did in the 40's and 50's. No tunnels or tight curves east of Cheyenne to Omaha that I know of, so I assume it is cleared for that mainline as well. Were there any clearance problems on the transfer from LA to Cheyenne after the loco reached the mainline?

Any guesses as to which UP lines may be off limits to the 4014 once it is ready for the road?
Wouldn't it be able to travel wherever the Challenger went?

Bill Anderson

I watched some of the videos on You Tube. You guys have been holding out on me. I didn't know the 4014 and 844 had double-headed a passenger special to Ogden over Mothers Day weekend.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com