A Bargain Flash for Night Work

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
I've started to play with artificial lighting at night (flash, spot lights etc). Flash work can give some nice images but you can wrap up a fair bit of money into gear too. I came across a pair of Nikon SB26 speedlights recently in the used case at the camera shop. The SB26 dates from the film days and does not TTL meter with Nikon's digital line and will not work with the CLS system. As the film shooter dispose of these they are going for $100 or less. Ebay auctions run less than $100. Amazon had five for sale yesterday as low as $75 each.

What makes this flash useful for the night railroad shooter is it has a built in slave and will trigger off your other flashes. The slave also has a delay so if you a using TTL on your main flashes the slaves will not upset the TTL metered flashes. This makes them handy for fill in light.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/05/for-few-dollars-more-nikon-sb-26.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Two23

Duck Hunter
I've started to play with artificial lighting at night (flash, spot lights etc). Flash work can give some nice images but you can wrap up a fair bit of money into gear too. I came across a pair of Nikon SB26 speedlights recently in the used case at the camera shop. The SB26 dates from the film days and does not TTL meter with Nikon's digital line and will not work with the CLS system. As the film shooter dispose of these they are going for $100 or less. Ebay auctions run less than $100. Amazon had five for sale yesterday as low as $75 each.

What makes this flash useful for the night railroad shooter is it has a built in slave and will trigger off your other flashes. The slave also has a delay so if you a using TTL on your main flashes the slaves will not upset the TTL metered flashes. This makes them handy for fill in light.

I have skipped the SB-26 for several reasons. First, the built in slave causes this flash to be WAY overpriced. Just because they were made during the film era does NOT mean they are a bargain. Second, I've not found the optical slave to be all that reliable at much range. Instead, I went with x8 SB-25 flash. This is basically the same model with out the slave, and it sells for fifty bucks or less pretty regularly. This is much more reasonable--for the price of one SB-26 you can buy TWO of the SB-25. I've been using mine during Dakota winters for about 9 years now. I have a CyberSync trigger for each which gives me 200 yard range.

The little flash are OK in winter when there is snow on the ground. During the rest of the year, or when I want to light up epically big stuff, I use White Lightning X3200 monolights. These have roughly twenty times the power of the SB-25 type flash. I have eight of these too, each with its own battery pack.

Kent in SD

HudsonNBjan15M.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com