Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. UP 844 Cajon

UP 844 Cajon

In late 2011 UP 844 traveled the southwest celebrating Arizona and New Mexico centennials. November 11 finds 844 on Cajon's east side en route to Yermo, CA, where it will stay the night before continuing to Nevada, Utah and Cheyenne, WY in a little over week.
  2. brad_in_omaha

UP 844 in Omaha, NE

The UP 844 rolled in to Omaha yesterday afternoon, sporting a new black nose. For years its been silver. The red mars light was also removed during the rebuild. Wish I would have had more time to get out and chase it across the plains. 1. 20170612SC8A3743 by Brad Williams, on Flickr 2...
  3. J

UP 844 Steam Locomotive with UP Coal Passing

Summer 2011 - Here is a UP Coal Train passing the UP 844 Steam Locomotive as it was parked near Downtown St. Louis on its cross-country tour that year. It's great to be part of the group! And, thank you for viewing my video. UP Coal with UP 844
  4. UP 844 Omaha Amtrak Depot

UP 844 Omaha Amtrak Depot

Backing from Gibson Yard to the UP main line is UP 844 on June 26, 2013
  5. Foggy departure

Foggy departure

UP 844 departs North Platte in a heavy fog with the Shiloh Limited.
  6. UP844 Brings the Shiloh Special Headend Cars to CB IA

UP844 Brings the Shiloh Special Headend Cars to CB IA

Seen at Canal St. in Missouri Valley IA
  7. Little 844 closeup against Big 844 drivers/con rod

Little 844 closeup against Big 844 drivers/con rod

Let's compare little 844 with BIG 844 !! Love the perspective between the sizes !! Thanks to the gentleman who brought his newly purchased 844 - Lionel version. 1:48 scale I believe (O-scale).
  8. Little 844 vs Big 844 !

Little 844 vs Big 844 !

Let's compare little 844 with BIG 844 !! Love the perspective between the sizes !! Thanks to the gentleman who brought his newly purchased 844 - Lionel version. 1:48 scale I believe (O-scale).
  9. 844 coming to life

844 coming to life

844 is steaming to life in Longview Texas on April 21, 2010 awaiting departure to North Little Rock. This will be the beginning of my 90 mile ride to Texarkana aboard the train.
  10. Engineer walking beside tracks

Engineer walking beside tracks

This is the companion photo to the one I posted previously showing the engineer (Lynn Nystrom) disembarking from UP844 after arrival at Coffeyville, KS on 04/24/2010. I will dedicate this photo to the memory of UP steam engineer Lynn Nystrom, who reportedly passed away on May 5, 2010. RIP
  11. UP Service Truck 40110 by the "Reed Jackson"

UP Service Truck 40110 by the "Reed Jackson"

UP service truck driving northbound along the tracks next to the parked display of UP 844 during "The Valley Eagle" Heritage Tour, 2010. The car "Reed Jackson" is immediately behind it.
  12. Souvenir Shop is Open!

Souvenir Shop is Open!

This souvenir shop sign is detachable, fitting into a holder on the side of the car. At the end of the first car in the photo, you can see a portion of the special signage UP is using this year to honor the National Model Railroad Association for their 75 years of service to the model...
  13. Confab time in Coffeyville

Confab time in Coffeyville

Several UP employees gather in the cabin for a discussion shortly after arrival in Coffeyville, KS. 844 was on its way back north on the final leg of "The Valley Eagle" Heritage Tour 2010. (Actual date of pic is 04.24.2010)
  14. Blocking the road for UP 844

Blocking the road for UP 844

Union Pacific service truck 53126 blocking the road at Dakota and Atlantic, for hooking fire hose to UP car "Joe Jackson" 814 for water fill-up. This is a match to the other photo I posted taken trackside, to show the whole operation. This was during "The Valley Eagle&quot...
  15. Closeup  detail of "Elephant Ears" UP844

Closeup detail of "Elephant Ears" UP844

Closeup of "Elephant Ears", taken on 04/24/2010
  16. Detail of drive wheels, UP844

Detail of drive wheels, UP844

Close-in detail on driver wheels, UP 844. Photo was taken on 04/24/2010 (date on photo is incorrect)
  17. Brakeman checking things out in Coffeyville, KS

Brakeman checking things out in Coffeyville, KS

Taken shortly after arrival in Coffeyville, KS on return leg of "The Valley Eagle" Heritage Tour. (Note that date on photo is incorrect; was actually taken on 04/24/2010)
  18. UP844 Refueling Ops, Parsons, KS

UP844 Refueling Ops, Parsons, KS

UP844 being refueled shortly after arrival in Parsons, KS on April 7, 2010. Train overnighted there before moving on south.
  19. Time to check things out

Time to check things out

UP engineer (appears to be Lynn Nystrom) disembarking from UP844 shortly after arrival at Coffeyville on April 24, 2010.
  20. Taking on water at Coffeyville, Kansas

Taking on water at Coffeyville, Kansas

UP 844 shortly after arrival in Coffeyville, Kansas on return leg of The Valley Eagle Heritage Tour, with boilermaker supervising the taking on of water. Public hydrant at corner of Dakota and Atlantic near train yards.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back