Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. D

Rail Materials

Possibly as an alloying agent. Titanium is very expensive and weight savings are almost irrelevant in railroad use. Premium steel alloys are sometimes used for high-wear curves
  2. D

Massive Explosion Seen After Train Derails Near Rock Springs, WY

Classic BLEVE. That fireball had hang time.
  3. D

Tractor pulling a line of gondolas

And with one axle in the air, too.
  4. D

Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Boeing builds other models of the 737 that are unaffected by the grounding. Those will continue to ship, though perhaps not as frequently.
  5. D

I see those herons occasionally in the Auburn/Algona/Pacific area. That type of bird I'd normally associate with Florida and my sister's back yard ponds. Sometimes kingfishers, too.
  6. D

Shorter and Shorter Trains

Possibly a harbinger of economic downturn. :( What types of trains appear to be most affected. I know coal's down.
  7. D

Steam locomotive construction and maintenance 1921

And a good thing, too. Otherwise that specialized knowledge would be lost.
  8. D

Steam locomotive construction and maintenance 1921

This looks fascinating, but where to find the time and presence of mind to read it fully? My life is too full of stuff.
  9. D

Locomotive boiler explosion

That's a LOT worse safety record than I knew! These days an occasional water heater gets launched through a roof. I hope it's due to far fewer boilers (and stored energy) and much more stringent safety enforcement. But imagine the stored energy in the larger coal-fired and even nuclear power...
  10. D

All tremble! Before the POWER of STEAM! (darn right it's scary)
  11. D

S shaped metal on Railroad tie ends?

I'd expect wood ties (but not premium hardwoods) to be the lowest cost. Cost is also determined by life under loads. In somewhat contradictory fashion, I've observed BNSF to use concrete on sidings and in rail yards locally, yet retain wooden ties for a very busy mainline in many locations...
  12. D

Indeed there are concrete ties, with reinforcing steel rods and/or steel cables under tension cast into the concrete in a mold. They aren't subject to moisture and rot, provided a suitable quality cement is chosen (Florida East Coast RR had a bad experience with this and ground up oyster shells...
  13. D

Nowadays, the practice is to use metal plates with spiky perforations to control end splitting.
  14. D

I think what impresses me most is the driving wheels having been driven into the ground, along with the rails. And the boiler walls are gone. Yeesh!
  15. D

BNSF-Wabtec battery locomotive

Norfolk Southern's battery-electric locomotive, NS 999, used an array of lead-carbon batteries (lead acid with spongy graphite cathode plates) made by Axion, I think. I'm reading that the latter went bankrupt, which won't help this project. Hopefully BNSF and Wabtec will have better luck...
  16. D

Likewise, missed your regular postings of Edmonds and train traffic. I'm wondering where those super-sized Boeing boxes are headed. They look outsized for the loading gauge and must have travel restrictions. Perhaps they can make it as far as Renton and the Boeing 737 assembly plant there?
  17. D

British freight hauled by locomotives built in the USA

Loading gauge in some countries like Britan can be much smaller than the U.S., even if the track gauge is the same. Tunnels can be particularly tight hence the very rounded roofs.
  18. D

Eritrea 2018 - 15: Mallet Double Header Finale (50 p.)

A place where time stands still and old railroad history still lives.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back