Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. B

Rail yard “wheel” of some sort?

Could be for hopper doors. Most brake wheels don't use chains.
  2. B

Slow moving train in Sebring, FL

Is it every train, or just the one? If it's every train, there may be a slow order.
  3. B

Slow moving train in Sebring, FL

What speed restrictions are on that track? Are there any tight curves? Does Sebring have a speed limit for trains?
  4. B

Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad to return to operation soon!

Bob, it’s been a while since this was updated. How is the MRSR doing?
  5. B

Forum Glitches.

Bob, thanks for sorting this out. These issues can be very frustrating for all concerned.
  6. B

How much less power does a steam locomotive's rear cylinder volume produce compared to front?

Any difference in power output is minimal. Steam is a vapour, and it simply doesn't expand quite as much due to the volume of the rod. The potential energy is virtually the same.
  7. B

Is the spectacular curved stone arch bridge in east Pittsburgh, Pa, still present? Still in use?

Back in the time it was built, bridge engineers thought the only thing better than stone was more stone. I remember that was proven when the PRR took a step back from accepted modern practices of the day, and built the Rockville Bridge over the Susquehanna River. They got tired of floods taking...
  8. B

Did a bridge builder construct a two-track bridge where the tracks "overlapped"? (Gauntlet)

Glad we could help... :rolleyes: I don't know how many times I couldn't remember something, then remembered right after asking somebody else.
  9. B

Forum Glitches.

If you try logging in to the forum, and either the forum is glacially slow, errors out, or you get an "account suspended" message, it's not anything you've done. We're experiencing some technical difficulties, and hope to have things back to normal (well, normal for us here, anyway) in a couple...
  10. B

Essay I wrote about the GG1

The one on the bottom does read better. Check for typos, there are a couple.
  11. B

ALCO HiAD trucks on the Burlington Northern

It appears to be a harmonic between the 39' jointed rails, the axle and truck spacing on the 636s, low speeds (10-15mph), and the equipment layout of the engine. They were worse when low on fuel.
  12. B

Am I the only GG1 fan?

There are a lot of people that like them, and some of our forum members have even operated them in revenue service. They were simple, rugged engines that lasted far beyond the time they would be expected to be retired. Many of them had careers of a half century, so what's not to like?
  13. B

Telegraph Poles

As the person you spoke with alluded to, UP probably has a maintenance contract with the telegraph company to keep those poles up for a set period of time.
  14. B

Minneapolis Stone Arch Bridge

At the very least, he would probably be required to walk the bridge and approaches at least once a day, watch for any maintenance that needed to be done, and keep an eye on any traffic going under it. There would be more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.
  15. B

Worst Class One Branch Line

There's a former N&W/Wabash mainline that's much, much worse.
  16. B

ALCO HiAD trucks on the Burlington Northern

The issue was with the trucks, not the hi adhesion part. On some railroads, they would do their best to fling themselves off the rails.
  17. B

Looking for a used EMD TA17 generator. Can someone help?

And of course, the OP hasn't bothered coming back since they registered and posted. I hope they found their generator.
  18. B

re railway cuttings & junctions

That's called a Wye, and they are used to turn a train. Many have one leg of the wye only long enough to turn a train, or a locomotive and cut of cars, since that is their reason for being, Some can be at a junction, such as you illustrated.
  19. B

Looking for a used EMD TA17 generator. Can someone help?

https://ozarkmountainrailcar.com/railEquipmentGrid.php?category=Locomotive%20Parts
  20. B

WHAT are these guys doing c. 1915?

It looks like they're checking the location of the crankpin using a jig.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back