Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. USSHelm

Soviet ghosts and survivors in Estonia's Oil shale region

Thanks for the report, and great photos! Never seen any Estonian railroading. Certainly not the first name that comes to mind when thinking of Europe.
  2. USSHelm

Tales of Tower 17

This past Saturday was a first. I got pulled over in Waelder while chasing a UP manifest from Glidden to Harwood. Shoot the train at various locations including Flatonia, Schulenberg, and Borden. When I was driving into Waelder I noticed a railway employee on the shoulder talking into his radio...
  3. USSHelm

Tales of Tower 17

Sealy and Columbus respectively.
  4. USSHelm

Tales of Tower 17

Haven't seen any gators lately. Chased a KCS manifest from Kendleton through to Ganado after work a few weeks back.
  5. USSHelm

Novices - Grumpy’s Railroad Photography Guide

Yeah, I have to agree on Lightroom. It's great for organization and most post-processing. I only use Photoshop when I need to remove power lines or birds.
  6. USSHelm

Novices - Grumpy’s Railroad Photography Guide

Grumpy's World is a railfan blog covering parts of Kansas since 1999. The pictures (beginning in Dec 2002) aren't always dramatic but they're very consistent in their form and quality. Grumpy is a very good railroad photographer. He laid out a guide a few years back and it was instrumental in...
  7. USSHelm

Tales of Tower 17

Scattered shots from around the Houston area in the last couple weeks. Rental 4-axle power on a daylight run to Eagle Lake, Galveston Railroad power, PTRA units switching the Port of Houston, and a Canadian National unit train in the Englewood Yard.
  8. USSHelm

Tales of the Meridian Speedway

It seems like every time I chase the L&NW the skies get cloudy. Took these shots a couple weeks back on the last day of classes. Chased trains, napped, studied and took my last final in that order. Got an A.
  9. USSHelm

Tales of Tower 17

I'm been MIA from the forum for a while but I haven't stopped shooting trains. Below are a trio of shots from a trip to Dallas and Fort Worth I took in April.
  10. USSHelm

Tales of Tower 17

I was browsing through some past airshow shots when I found these. They're a couple of shots from Fort Worth in October when I attended the Fort Worth Alliance airshow. Near the Alliance airport is a car factory served by rail. As the USAF heritage flight was taxiing down the runway I framed a...
  11. USSHelm

Thanks! The LNW just got a couple rental repainted into their scheme. Going to chase them at some point this quarter. Returned to Ruston Monday evening, with classes beginning tomorrow. Spent Tuesday railfanning Shreveport and Sibley. While in Shreveport I ran into Kevin Eudaly photographing a...
  12. USSHelm

Tales of Tower 17

Been back in Texas on break. Head back to Ruston this coming week. Here are a few snapshots from the break. A couple highlights, the third train has an Arrowedge on the lead double stack. Itsed65 has shown that piece of gear out west several times, but it was the first time I've seen it here on...
  13. USSHelm

Monday morning I rolled out from Gibsland at 0700 to chase the L&NW between Gibsland and Homer. The train didn't depart until approximately 1000, and I pursued until 1300 shooting it at the Athens Yard, Athens itself, off the side of LA9, Munix, and the LSU Ag Center. The skies were supposed to...
  14. USSHelm

Thank you sirs! Thursday was the last day of sunshine before the rain comes in over Mardi Gras break. After class I hit the road to see what I could find. Passing through Choudrant I heard a WB on the radio loud and clear so I went up to a crossing to see if he was nearby. Between Ada and...
  15. USSHelm

Glad you enjoy the photos! My car was in the shop for 3 weeks, got it back last Thursday. Friday afternoon I drove out to Vicksburg on 80 staying as close as possible to the Speedway. Caught a WB manifest just west of Calhoun and an EB stack train crossing the Mississippi. I couldn't find a...
  16. USSHelm

A rare snowstorm dropped 1-2" of snow on Ruston last night. The high this afternoon was 28, with a good breeze out of the north. The original plan was to drive to a crossing and wait on the train from my car, but it did not get out of the shop as planned. Hitched a ride to campus and got...
  17. USSHelm

Tales of Tower 17

Thanks! No, I'm not in those groups. Don't even have a facebook actually. Thank you!
  18. USSHelm

Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2018

Awesome catch with that ex-SSW unit. Not many left.
  19. USSHelm

Tales of Tower 17

Went down to the Ship Channel to do some long exposures of the San Jacinto Monument and th Fred Hartmann bridge. During the night I saw this pair of RP20s tied down in Seabrook.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back