Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. S

Chase Notch, Alabama--just up and disappeared?

I was putting locations into the metadata of some old photos today and came across a series I made at a place locally known as Chase Notch near Huntsville, Alabama. I know about where the photos were taken, but can find no reference to a place called "Chase Notch," in order to insert the...
  2. S

Railfanning in Central Florida in the time of Covid

Since SunRail arrived, the only trains passing through my neck of the woods (during daylight) are SunRail & Amtrak. Seen one, seen 'em all. We're pretty-well sealed up here at home gardening and photographing birds, but we live right near the Outer Marker for Orlando International Airport's...
  3. S

Trackside access at Tehachapi Loop???

Does anyone know the status of access to the trackside areas of the Loop Ranch at Tehachapi? I lived out that way '99-'01 and spent many weekends there just below Tunnel 10. The photo was taken on Memorial Day 2001; there was a group of Singles RVers from SF Valley and a group of veterans parked...
  4. S

I think they emptied Greenville last evening

Shot at Toccoa, Georgia by the Amtrak station. Total elapsed time was 1H10M. Locomotives 8366 and 4049 dragged two monster manifest trains and 3362 brought up the rear with 20 or 30 more cars. The first photo (8366) is framed differently because just as I sat the tripod out of the truck I heard...
  5. S

Golden Hour Problem...

The problem with rail photography during the Golden Hour: 1) Long shadows across the track. 2) The trains all go the wrong way. Lula, GA on the N-S Greenville sub. Love the new signal bridges.
  6. S

Mormon Rocks, California

Back in the era when you focused by hand and waited for processing. Kodacolor Gold, scanned and restored on Photoshop.
  7. S

SunRail MP32PH-3Q

Took my new Canon EF-40 prime lens to the track today. It's an interesting lens in that it is really small. It projects 1-1/2" from the body at the closest focus with the lens cap. About 1-1/4" with the focus completely retracted. I use it on a 7D, which has an APS-C sensor, so the 35mm...
  8. S

Stranger in Paradise

We were driving down U.S. 1 just north of Folkston, Georgia, last Sunday when we saw--of all things--a Florida East Coast manifest train in the hole southbound. We pulled in to the peanut gallery at the Funnel to wait for it. One of the fans there said he saw it go northbound a couple of days...
  9. S

Several Dark Nights a couple of decades ago (Part 2)

The rest of the folder. Florida Central CF-7s straight out of the paint shop in Plymouth, Florida. Probably the most lurid paint job I ever photographed. They have a nice patina now, trundling down to Orlando. Maryland Department of Transportation F-7s. The sad part of the story is that the...
  10. S

Several Dark Nights a couple of decades ago (Part 1)

These boiled to the surface from a long-neglected file folder. When I was working near someplace interesting, I would go out after work and do a night shot or two. (The CSX and FCRR were taken while home.) Thought I'd share. Apalachicola Northern GP-15T, tied up at Port St. Joe. The SW-9s &...
  11. S

Elkhorn Inn, West Virginia

I couldn't find a forum section for this, so I'll stick it here. If I missed the section where it's more appropriate, please move it, and thanks. http://www.elkhorninnwv.com/ It's located on the West Virginia Coal Heritage Trail. (I have no affiliation with this or any related...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back