Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. J

Railfanning while on vacation (August 2nd-August 5th)

While on vacation from work, I got lucky with the typical heat this time of year also taking a bit of a "break". I went trackside for a few days and did alright with the local railroads. CSX W089, Sonora,KY 8/2/2021 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr CSX K562-02, Sonora,KY 8/2/2021 by Jeff Wagoner...
  2. J

Roadtrip to Illinois 12/15 & 12/16/2017

Having two consecutive days off from work, I decided to get out and get away from the usual railroading here in Kentucky (CSX and NS, and mostly widecab power belonging to them) this past weekend and travel to Illinois for a little variety. I was not disappointed. CN/IC 3106 South, Dongola...
  3. J

Two encounters with Union Pacific's Rio Grande Heritage Unit

Over the last 10 days or so, Union Pacific's Rio Grande heritage unit has passed through Kentucky on several occasions. I managed to catch it on two different trains on Norfolk Southern on two different days, with varying results as far as the weather is concerned. Most of it turned out pretty...
  4. J

Lhoist North American (Crab Orchard,TN-Rockwood,TN) 10/6/2017

Paid a visit to the Lhoist North American short line in Tennessee today. They interchange with NS at Rockwood,TN and haul rock from a quarry in Crab Orchard. The line uses several high hood GE's which are due to be retired next year. Lhoist North American #4023 East, Ozone,TN 10/6/2017 by Jeff...
  5. J

A couple rainy days on the CNO&TP.

I decided not to let the weather slow down my efforts to get out to see trains running. On Tuesday I found out that NS 289 would be coming down the CNO&TP with an Illinois Central SD70 in the famed "Death Star" paint scheme leading. I waited for it at Burgin and got another shot of it and a few...
  6. J

Paducah & Louisville 6/19 & 6/21/2017

A few more shots of the P&L from the past few days. PAL CC2, Clarkson,KY 6/19/2017 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr PAL LG1, Black Rock,KY 6/19/2017 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr PAL LG1, Summit,KY 6/21/2017 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr PAL LG1, Clarkson,KY 6/21/2017 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr PAL...
  7. J

Chasing 611, Roanoke,VA 5/27-5/29/2017

Chased 611 over the weekend around Roanoke,VA. Shots aren't the best, with the weather not cooperating and me being fairly unfamiliar with the area. Crowds don't help matters either. IMG_4939 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr IMG_4966 by Jeff Wagoner, on Flickr NS 958, Montgomery, VA 5/28/2017 by...
  8. J

A few quick shots on the Paducah and Louisville (5/19/2017)

Went out yesterday to catch a Paducah and Louisville rock train working with PAL's Military units leading. Get to the train (over an hour from my house) to find that my camera's battery was dead. Drove back home, and gave it another shot today. The military units were a lot closer to home...
  9. J

Hoosier Southern Railroad 5/9/2017

The Hoosier Southern is a short line railroad running from an interchange with Norfolk Southern in Lincoln City,IN to Tell City,IN. They have four locomotives on their roster, two GP9s (One high and one short hood), and two recently acquired GP15s. I'd been over to Lincoln City on several other...
  10. J

Three days of railfanning in Central Kentucky in mid-November

I had two days off from work, and since the forecast called for snow as I got off work, I decided to hang out by the tracks and get some snow shots for a change. CSX Q502, Glendale,KY 11/17/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr CSX Q534-17, Glendale,KY 11/17/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr...
  11. J

Chasing Southern #630 on the NS CNO&TP 2nd District

I rode behind #630 on Saturday, and chased the train on Sunday. NS 956, Kings Mountain,KY 6/1/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr NS 956, Burnside,KY 6/1/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr NS 956, Keno,KY 6/1/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr NS 956, Revelo,KY 6/1/2014 by...
  12. J

One week of train chasing...

I had a vacation from work last week, and spent 7 of 9 total days off out chasing trains. I managed to see all kinds of stuff, shooting nearly 60 trains in the process. I'll post the ones I think are interesting here, and have a link for the rest: Monday, I chased a lease unit(a widecab) on...
  13. J

Three days of train chasing in three states 1/18-1/20/2014

Spent Saturday on CSX's Chattanooga Subdivision. Saw eight trains, photographed four. It wasn't as busy as I had hoped. CSX Q581-18, Fosterville,TN 1/19/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr CSX Q133, Fosterville,TN 1/18/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr CSX Q242, Wartrace,TN 1/18/2014...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back