Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. M

BNSF track projects, WA State 2014

Those were to be new switch point panels for both the MP 16 and MP 18 turnouts. They were ordered incorrectly, so I think they're just sitting until a use for them can be found. This year, instead of entirely new turnouts, only the points panels have been replaced at a few locations: Howarth...
  2. M

Herzog MOW Equipment

It used to be. Reduced budgets year-to-year have resulted in the use of one MPM for the whole Northwest Division. There used to be three of them.
  3. M

The last I saw about this was to begin locating utilities probably this year, but that very well could have been postponed due to the lower volumes and revenue.
  4. M

Tie replacement at Mile Post 18

That's the pile of removed ties. It's a plate pressed onto the end of the tie to prevent tie splitting. https://www.mitek-us.com/products/steel-plates/Anti-Split-Plate/ Probably adjusting the tie plate under the rail before it's spiked down. Squeezing the rail anchors against the new tie...
  5. M

Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Only the military versions of the 737 will continue to be built during this shutdown. The last 737 Next Generation has been delivered, so no more of those.
  6. M

About a mile north of Carkeek Park, a new slide catchment wall is being built.
  7. M

Those are empties from the Everett Boeing plant. The Boeing job brings them down to Mukilteo. The Goldbar Turn takes them to Interbay. When enough empty Boeing cars from Mukilteo and Renton get put together at Interbay, they head east.
  8. M

That was done last year. I did get word that 2019 will not be it for jointed rail on the Stampede Sub.
  9. M

Now through the end of March, a steel gang will be eliminating the last of the jointed rail on the Yakima Valley Sub. This is between Prosser and Satus. Then in September and October, another gang will lay rail on the Stampede side. It, too, will be many miles of jointed rail replaced, but...
  10. M

Hirail excavators have been around for a handful of years, now. They are really taking off with multiple manufacturers offering them. One of which is Advanced Rail Concepts from right in our backyard. http://www.advancedrailconcepts.com/
  11. M

Every time you see GPs westbound with tanks and/or Boeing cars, it's the Goldbar Turn. They typically return to Everett light power.
  12. M

Good questions. The Division Engineer was at our last Seattle safety meeting. I said something about the new moveable point frog #24 being the kiss of death for double tracking anytime soon. He was kind of sly about his response so maybe people are trying to make something happen! Since they...
  13. M

What is This? (BNSF Dash 9 Spark Arrestor?)

It's a cover for when the locomotives are stored. Two halves, front and rear, lift up and fold down.
  14. M

Capturing the display, I believe, has to do with the refresh rate of the LEDs. I have seen elsewhere to use a shutter speed of less than 1/125 sec.
  15. M

Brandt Roadrailer. It's operated by MOW employees.
  16. M

I could be wrong, but I don't think Renton gets anything by rail except for fuselages. That's all I see on the Renton Rocket. These cars should be empties from the Everett plant. The Boeing job sets them out at Mukilteo and the Goldbar Turn takes them to Interbay.
  17. M

I almost forgot to mention...Melonas siding gets signals cut over and put into service on December 6.
  18. M

Ferndale and Custer cutover On Tuesday, 11/7, Ferndale and Custer will see significant changes. This is the cutover to the new second main. Ferndale Siding and Switch Custer will no longer exist. It will all officially become Main 1 and Main 2. There will be a 16-hour window to do all the...
  19. M

Yesterday, 8/22, this section of main track was shifted over to the new track through that crossing.
  20. M

Just the regular Capital gang work, this year. The Yakima Valley Sub already got some new rail. Mid-July, a rail gang will work the Stampede Sub for two weeks between Bristol and Palmer Jct. In August, there will be a quick visit by the Shoulder Ballast Cleaner and High Speed Surfacing crew...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back