Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Bill Anderson

UP 9031 West from Council Bluffs

For the Omaha Posse: The Northwest Forwarder departs Council Bluffs behind UP 9031, a 4-12-2 steam locomotive. Notice that the second diesel of the eastbound cattle train is a passenger unit, possibly an E7.
  2. Bill Anderson

Chinese Steam: Sandaoling Coal Mines

I found this video on You Tube of steam operations at the Sandaoling coal mining complex in northwestern China. The scenery, couplers, track gauge, and signals give it a very North American look. For those not familiar with Chinese steam locos, here is info on the JS class...
  3. Bill Anderson

Tie replacement at Mile Post 18

Into the Wayback Machine, Sherman. On 3-2-2011 I photographed a track gang replacing ties at MP 18 below Sunset Ave. in Edmonds, WA. "Track gang" may be a misnomer these days as most of the work is done by machinery. That is a far cry from the 1940's when my father worked on a C&NW...
  4. Bill Anderson

Vintage Diesel Promo Film

An early EMD film promoting diesel engines. I believe the Union Pacific is the sole surviving railroad of the many shown in the film.
  5. Bill Anderson

Railroad Songs

Post up your favotie railroad songs for a musical interlude as we sit at home during these trying times. City of New Orleans.
  6. Bill Anderson

Attention Photographers

I have noticed that many new members are very active and very good rail photographers. If you photograph things like wildlife and landscapes when trains are not rolling by, please check out Bob's website that is devoted exclusively to photography: the Pacific Northwest Photography Forum...
  7. Bill Anderson

New Passenger Trains in Cuba

Cuba is rebuilding/upgrading its rail passenger service with equipment from China and Russia. The photos of the Chinese diesels are interesting. China made a large purchase of GE diesels from the US in the mid-late 1980's. I assume that is why these home grown Chinese units look very much...
  8. Bill Anderson

Mid West Flooding 2019

The Omaha Posse has been posting up photos of the flooding in the Omaha-Council Bluffs area. I am starting this thread for members to post photos of flooding in all parts of the Mid West such as the Dakotas and Minnesota.
  9. Bill Anderson

How cold is it?

A polar vortex has migrated out of the Arctic, causing many parts of North America to experience record breaking cold temperatures. In some cases the air temperature + wind have combined to create wind chills colder than the Antarctic. Show us how cold it is where you live by posting up a...
  10. Bill Anderson

Dirty Diesels

Looking at recent photos posted up of the UP, I have to ask if the railroad is washing or repainting its diesels anymore? I have seen a lot of photos of faded and dirty diesels that seem out of place on the UP. I might extend that question to cover the BNSF as well. When I worked in Chicago...
  11. Bill Anderson

Trains of Everett, WA.

This year's Special Olympics bowling season will be held at Evergreen Lanes in Everett during September and October. I will probably spend time at the Everett Marina photographing birds and trains while my son is bowling. I can do both as Bayside Yard, one of two BNSF yards in Everett, is...
  12. Bill Anderson

Check out the Pacific Northwest Photography Forum

Bob has upgraded his "other" site, the Pacific Northwest Photography Forum. http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/index.php I encourage all of you who may be looking for a site to post your non-railroad photos (landscapes, wildlife, sunsets, etc) to check it out. Membership and photos are not...
  13. Bill Anderson

Trains of Edmonds, Washington

My two Edmonds related threads, Mile Post 18 News and Pity Mile Post 17, got lost in the transition to the new software. The MP 18 thread, which I started in 2009, had received over 450,000 hits. I was hoping it would reach a half million hits sometime this year. I am replacing all my...
  14. Bill Anderson

Abandoned ALCo S2

I hope this is not a repost. An ALCo S2, abandoned in the Appalachian Mountains, was found by an intrepid railfan. https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ef_1516069432
  15. Bill Anderson

Amtrak Cascade Derailment at Dupont, WA

My wife is listening to the radio and just told me that an Amtrak train left the tracks near Dupont and went on to adjacent I-5. This is the line that runs past Ft. Lewis and was recently upgraded to 70mph Sounder and Amtrak service. Passenger service on the line just started this morning...
  16. Bill Anderson

Washington State DOT Funded Rail Projects

Information on rail projects funded by the Washington State Dept. of Transportation can be found here: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/index.htm Scroll down the list of projects (listed alphabetically) to Rail. Click on a project for a page of info about that project. For example, here is a...
  17. Bill Anderson

Harriman vs. Hill: Wall Street’s Great Railroad War

I just finished reading this book. While I didn't understand all of the stock market terminology, I enjoyed reading a facet of US history that is not often taught or discussed. http://eh.net/book_reviews/harriman-vs-hill-wall-streets-great-railroad-war/ I checked out a copy from my local...
  18. Bill Anderson

Stephen Harris Videos

Lee Witten has edited and digitized Super 8mm home videos taken by Stephen Harris and posted them on You Tube. The videos are of western railroads taken by Harris in the late 60's-early 70's. They offer a great journey back in time to the days of pre-early Amtrak, first and early second...
  19. Bill Anderson

Washington Royal Line

I posted a thread on 8-15-13 about a trip to my 45 year high school class reunion in Lewiston, ID. Included in the thread were photos I took of an old ALCo diesel that had been sitting forever on what appeared to be abandoned trackage at the end of the Milwaukee Road's Royal City (WA) branch...
  20. Bill Anderson

An Afternoon at Pt. Edwards: A Railroad Play

I am going to do something different from my usual posts to the MP 17 and MP 18 threads. Thursday afternoon (6/22/17) my son and I went up to Pt. Edwards and set up my camera equipment at a viewpoint on Pine St. above the condos that appear in the background of many of my photos. I will write...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back