Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. NM_RailNut

Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2020

I'll second that. Just about all of the anti-social media sites make a Superfund cleanup site look downright pristine by comparison, and some of the other railfan sites are just as bad (I still visit one or two of those sites just to see if anything interesting is posted, but it'll be a cold day...
  2. NM_RailNut

Trains of Edmonds, Washington

I've been keeping an eye on some of the currently running Amtrak trains via Virtual Railfan, and although I haven't recently seen any Empire Builder trains (via the camera at Skykomish), just about all of the long distance trains I have seen are running with fewer cars. The Southwest Chief...
  3. NM_RailNut

That's how it is here in NM. We've got a lot less people here in the middle Rio Grande valley than in the Puget Sound area, plus we have a much lower population density than just about every other urban area in the country (I tend to think of Albuquerque as more of a suburb in search of a city...
  4. NM_RailNut

Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2020

I don't blame you for feeling that way, Bill; however, I work at the VA hospital in Albuquerque and I feel safer there from COVID-19 than I would at quite a few other places in the Duke City. (Of course, all of those places are now closed or have restrictions in place, so that's probably a moot...
  5. NM_RailNut

Amtrak Southwest Chief

You might want to reread some of Amtrak's announcements (or perhaps I should say "pronouncements") on the matter. Individual movement of private cars between major terminals (i.e., Los Angeles to Kansas City and/or Chicago) is still permitted on Amtrak trains (for now, at least). It's the...
  6. NM_RailNut

Most of the Caltrain consists that I rode on when I was stationed in the San Francisco area were that short (as are the Railrunner trains here in Albuquerque), and short consists like that are common on a lot of other commuter routes. Ridership levels at certain times of the day are part of the...
  7. NM_RailNut

Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2018

Hard to believe those U2s are museum pieces now; then again it's been over 25 years since I've rode one. Geez, I'm feeling old...
  8. NM_RailNut

Friday With UP1943

I should have known better than to think there wasn't any significance to that road number; UP isn't in the habit of just picking them out of a hat for these units, after all. Quite a few combat aircraft were funded that way during the war, and I believe that some were even purchased for...
  9. NM_RailNut

Friday With UP1943

There probably isn't any historical significance to that number. It may have been chosen simply since it was available and it fits in with UP's SD70ACe commemorative diesels (which are also in the 19xx range).
  10. NM_RailNut

Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2017

That's part of a Stryker brigade heading home from training at Fort Irwin. At least half of the vehicles are Strykers, and the rest appear to be Oshkosh HEMMTs and possibly a few MRAPs or the Army's version of M-ATVs as well. There's probably some more conventional five-ton trucks or...
  11. NM_RailNut

Illini Terminal GP9

Nope. the Illini Terminal Railroad is a Respondek Railroad Corporation switching operation that serves an industrial park just off of the BNSF mainline in Litchfield. The locomotive is a former Rock Island GP9 that was rebuilt into a GP10 by ICG and was restored and repainted by the Illinois...
  12. NM_RailNut

A Six Hour Late #6

The Ski Train will stop at the Winter Park Ski Resort at Winter Park, CO as before. The big change will be the addition of a proper ADA-compliant station platform at the resort, instead of the simple paved (or gravel) area that had served in place of a platform.
  13. NM_RailNut

Unusual Drawbridge Railway Crossing in Australia

It wouldn't have to, given that the sugar cane trains typically run at slow speeds anyway. And the main reason for using that type of crossing is to avoid speed restrictions that would be imposed on QR high speed passenger trains if a diamond crossing were used; that's usually not an issue in...
  14. NM_RailNut

Comment by 'NM_RailNut' in media 'Conrail'

Break out the hot dogs...
  15. NM_RailNut

How far south does the North American rail network go?

There is a transfer connection with the Guatemalan 3' gauge rail network at the Guatemala-Mexico border; it's lain dormant since rail operations in Guatemala were abandoned in 2007 and the entire network has been dismantled by metal thieves. There never has been any real sort of a railway...
  16. NM_RailNut

BNSF SD70MACs at Progress Rail

Looks like they're working on (replacing?) the traction motor inverters and control electronics. Upgrades, perhaps?
  17. NM_RailNut

Changing Class/Marker Light Colors?

Steam locomotive classification lamps usually had a fixed base and a rotating body (with a locking mechanism of some sort) that allowed the desired lens to be positioned in front of the light source and reflector without removing the lamp from the locomotive. Class lamps on most U.S. diesel...
  18. NM_RailNut

Chicago Metra Will Shut Down December 31st Unless PTC Deadline is Extended.

Not to mention Amtrak and at least half of the commuter agencies in the U.S. One can only hope that the idiots in Congress actually do manage to recognize where the entire PTC mess is heading and grant that extension; unfortunately, there's no guarantee that any of them do have a clue, much less...
  19. NM_RailNut

Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2015

It's the same one they use to build LRVs for North American customers; Siemens upgraded it to handle locomotive production a few years ago.
  20. NM_RailNut

Chasing trains east of Reno NV

Even without Photoshop it'd still look like someone's backyard G scale railroad.:) The air whistle was added by the V&T in 2010; none of the 80 tonners built for Uncle Sam had Hancock air whistles, nor would any 80 tonners have been given them while still under DOD ownership. (Hancock had...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back