Eritrea 2018 - 14: Final Steam Morning (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Eritrea 2018 - 13: Levels (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/eritrea-2018-13-levels-50-p.14138

Video for this series:

October 27 2018

We started our second sunrise-attempt of the trip Saturday morning. We had learnt from our previous mistakes and departed Asmara earlier. Also, the tarpaulins stayed on the wagons and a few daredevils of the group sanded while our train steamed up the slippery grade.
Made it: we reached our spot on the other side of the summit with smaller Mallet 440.008 just as the sun appeared at 6:18 a.m.
eri1401.jpg

We sanded the moist rails, still the loco only made it into the frame in its second attempt.
eri1402.jpg

I only discovered it later, but at the station in the darkness I had made the rookie mistake to set the focus to manual and not back to autofocus afterwards. Luckily, the setting allowed photos to be sharp up to about 70 mm.
eri1403.jpg

eri1404.jpg

eri1405.jpg

eri1406.jpg

eri1407.jpg

eri1408.jpg

eri1409.jpg

I changed to the forest side after several run-pasts.
eri1410.jpg

eri1411.jpg

eri1412.jpg

eri1413.jpg

One final run past the huts.
eri1414.jpg

The others hiked uphill - I preferred this panoramic view, with yellow highlight of course. Antennas on the mountaintop and tour group erased.
eri1415.jpg

Subsequently, we moved to the forest-S-curve.
eri1416.jpg

I finally recognized the focussing error thanks to these flowers.
eri1417.jpg

eri1418.jpg

Next stop: The curve with bridge where we had met the wedding party on the first afternoon of the trip.
eri1419.jpg

I removed power lines from some images.
eri1420.jpg

View down the valley with main road and railway line. We know the mountain in the background to the right from the morning at Arbaroba.
eri1421.jpg

eri1422.jpg

A 4x1 portrait format panorama.
eri1423.jpg

The train reached my location in no time.
eri1424.jpg

I had to hurry for the second run-past...
eri1425.jpg

... to get this view of the valley.
The panoramic image in larger resolution can be found here:
http://raildata.info/eritrea18/eri1426gr.jpg

eri1426.jpg

eri1427.jpg

eri1428.jpg

The whole section in one picture.
eri1429.jpg

Shortly before 8:30 a.m., we arrived at the 4-arch viaduct as last stop.
eri1430.jpg

Train in the distance: donkeys posing nicely.
eri1431.jpg

Train nearby: donkeys can only just be managed in position.
Power lines removed from this 2x2 panorama.
eri1432.jpg

eri1433.jpg

Shortly afterwards, we were told to walk to the buses as the loco was short on water. It steamed back to Asmara, while we puffed up the path to the main road at 7500 ft altitude. You can spot the water lorry in the background with...
eri1434.jpg

... an old Mercedes truck, donkeys, yellow canisters...
eri1435.jpg

... and?
eri1436.jpg

Bike commuters to the capital!
eri1437.jpg

eri1438.jpg

I snapped shots from the bus of another Art Deco petrol station highlight: former Agip "laboratorio chimico".
eri1439.jpg

We took a short break at the hotel where I made sure the photos had turned out sharp. After lunch we returned to Shegerini.
eri1440.jpg

Who would have thought it after days of engine driver shortage and loco failures: the promised double header featuring 440.008 and - the supposedly faulty 442.56! All in all we encountered five engines under steam that trip. The train should have been two passenger carriages longer and should have departed from Arbaroba, but all in all I was pleasantly surprised.
eri1441.jpg

eri1442.jpg

eri1443.jpg

The local children also judged the situation partly happily, partly with scepticism.
eri1444.jpg

eri1445.jpg

eri1446.jpg

We rolled downhill to tunnel 23 for the first run-pasts.
eri1447.jpg

eri1448.jpg

eri1449.jpg

More double Mallet power next time! :)
eri1450.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back