Hydrogen Fuel Cell Train

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

I can't find a thread on Hydrogen Fuel Cell Train here. So I am starting a new one. It is one of the most environmentally friendly trains available since it has 100% zero emissions. It is quiet and clean.
Hydrogen is safe and efficient than gasoline or natural gas. The milage of hydrogen vehicles is also higher. However, hydrogen gas has a few unique properties that require special consideration. For example, hydrogen can leak easily and ignite a relatively low temperature. But Hydrogen, handled with this knowledge, is a safe fuel. To ensure that hydrogen is handled responsibly, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is developing international safety standards. The Canadian Hydrogen Installation Code (CHIC) defines the requirements applicable to the installation of hydrogen equipment. Companies that manufacture hydrogen and fuel cell products and build hydrogen stations use many features that continue to be validated through safety tests.
What do you think about the future of hydrogen vehicles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hydrogen is difficult to store and handle. Battery tech is sufficient for affordable automobiles, maybe for switching yards and smallish trains. I don't know the current status of NS999.

The Burlington Northern experimented with a natural gas fueled engine back in the 70's when the price of diesel was sky high. The Union Pacific looked into electrification of their line over Sherman Hill for the same reason. I am not certain, but Caterpiller may even have built an LPG powered switcher. I cannot recall anyone experimenting with hydrogen as a fuel.

Since then modern computer technology has produced much cleaner and more efficient diesel engines and introduced battery powered units, as was pointed out above.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back