Recent content by LocoLuke

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. LocoLuke

Adventures at Ashland, NE

I appreciate you sharing the memories. It’s absolutely nuts how much and area can change in just a few decades. I haven’t been alive for much longer than a decade and a half, and I can already think of a couple of old structures and bridges I’ve watched go. It’s sad to see relics of the past go...
  2. LocoLuke

Anybody near Hamlet Indiana?

It looks like she’s still kickin! 😁 You may have seen this already, but someone posted pictures of 753 to rrpicturearchives.net just a few days after you posted this questions. It’s always cool to see these old units still working, even if it’s just as a switcher at a grain elevator.
  3. LocoLuke

Where is the Omaha Posse?

A quick search of the interwebs would indicate that it means “high threat urban area,” but that area doesn’t exactly seem urban, let alone high threat.
  4. LocoLuke

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen GEVO?
  5. LocoLuke

I headed down to Ashland for a little bit yesterday, but first I stopped in Gretna to catch the late Amtrak 6. It had a friendly engineer who gave me a nice little horn show as he flew by. Now, at Ashland, a horribly backlit train crawled by with a short string of cars loaded with large...
  6. LocoLuke

I went down to Ashland today to see if there was anything going on. I sat around for half an hour while this crew wrapped up doing trackwork, and then a westbound came through a little bit later.
  7. LocoLuke

I hope to run into ya sometime!
  8. LocoLuke

Bill, I think you can see those branches a little bit better in this picture. Trees are always interesting.
  9. LocoLuke

I recently got my first DSLR, so I headed down to my regular spot in Ashland, Nebraska to try it out. I found a Canadian Pacific AC4400CW on trailing on what I assume was an oil train. It was definitely a pleasant surprise. From what I heard it was siting there for most of the day. I feel bad...
  10. LocoLuke

BNSF's Topeka Sub

That boxcar is definitely interesting. It’s pretty hard to come by rolling stock like that anymore.
  11. LocoLuke

Shorter and Shorter Trains

Coal trains aren’t really any shorter, but if they’ve been less frequent, I wouldn’t have noticed. A lot of manifests and intermodal are what seem to be getting shorter.
  12. LocoLuke

Shorter and Shorter Trains

Lately the Union Pacific trains heading west towards Council Bluffs, IA, through Omaha seem to have been significantly shorter than usual. Is this something that should be a cause for concern?
  13. LocoLuke

I found myself in Shenandoah over the weekend and stumbled upon a few interesting artifacts. The boxcar was supposedly built in 1917.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back