Recent content by CharleyL

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. CharleyL

Complete abandoned railroad value?

You might want to talk to Brian, the guy who bought and formed the East Terminal Railway. It is in Ohio. He and his son have been working to restore it and find customers for the last several years. He has been posting videos of his "progress and the lack of" on Youtube. From watching his...
  2. CharleyL

Why so much foriegn power on CN?

Danny Harmon on Youtube did a show where he explained this well, and he seems to have good reliable connections to his sources. Here is a link to the show that he did on it. Charley
  3. CharleyL

Chance Rides C P Huntington 262 In Kannapolis, NC Village Park

The carousel was moved from a defunct shopping mall in Kansas and is now installed in a new octagonal building designed and built for it at the park in 2018. To my knowledge, it is the only 2 story high carousel between New Jersey and Georgia on the East Coast. In 2021, the C P Huntington 262...
  4. CharleyL

Our Carousel in the Village Park, Kannapolis, NC
  5. CharleyL

Welcome back returning members!

Almost a year later and still no response to my question, yet. Why was this category deleted? Can it be restored? Charley
  6. CharleyL

Welcome back returning members!

I was looking for the Park Trains Forum, but it doesn't seem to exist any longer. Is there any chance that it can be restored? My Avatar shows the Chance Rides 262 that I drove and maintained until my final retirement. It was part of that forum. Charley
  7. CharleyL

Comment by 'CharleyL' in media 'Metro North at Bear Mountain Bridge'

I grew up in that area, and recognized the location as soon as I saw your photo. Great shot! Thanks, I haven't been there in years. I now live in NC. Charley
  8. CharleyL

HELP! Need info on switching in the US in the 40s

In the 1960's in the Harmon shops of the NY Central, which is located along the Hudson River in NY about 25 miles North of the city they were using what the engineers called "rubber switches". They were designed to allow an engine and cars to pass through without damage. Springs in the switch...
  9. CharleyL

What does this lettering mean?

I'm glad you found some better results. Like I said. My info was "just a guess". Charley
  10. CharleyL

What does this lettering mean?

Just a guess. C. V. RY could have been "Connecticut Valley Railway", but I have no idea if that railroad went that far North into Vermont. 1942 is very likely the year of manufacture. The C. Y. I have no thoughts for. Also, with the war breaking out and metal becoming scarce, these plates...
  11. CharleyL

My MTC reproduction crossing signal

Mike, The crossing gates/signals on our Chance Rides 24" gauge train ride were purchased with the ride, but were mostly built from standard metal electrical conduit fittings, 12 volt lights, and an alternating type automotive flasher. A few parts, like the black disks around the lights and the...
  12. CharleyL

I've been away for a while, and I no longer drive the train. Heart problems have put an end to that, but I still love the train and provide technical help to the one who is taking care of it now. I'll be posting some more photos and some of the carousel soon. The carousel that is here is the...
  13. CharleyL

May have lost 2 yesterday.Gadsden,alabama

I'm not sure on the older Chance Ride engines, but the one that we have (serial 262) has a low air pressure automatic brake. I'm kind of thinking that the driver was likely paying attention to the stuck whistle and was standing to reach it when he should have been operating the brake lever to...
  14. CharleyL

We now have a Carousel in the park located just across the walkway from the train station. It's Italian made, and I've been told that it's the only two story high carousel between New Jersey and Georgia. This Carousel was purchased from a closed down shopping mall in Missouri 5 years ago and ...
  15. CharleyL

Good morning, I am a new forum member and this is my first post. I'm a part time driver and maintenance man for the Kannapolis, NC Village Park C P Huntington #262 train ride. Kannapolis bought this train from a private estate in the New Orleans area in 2005. It left New Orleans one week...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back