Recent content by CGW101c

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

1. CGW101c

Florence Cutoff (Omaha Road)

Found post 87 of "Some old slides" starts a discussion that might be informative in this post.
  2. CGW101c

Florence Cutoff (Omaha Road)

I think there is a thread here somewhere talking about Briggs, which was aplace where the Omaha road built a new track around Florence to get into the stockyards in South Omaha. I also have some maps but I'm in the process of sorting stuff and have temporarily misplaced the history file. I'll...
  3. CGW101c

Where is the Omaha Posse?

Roaming around today I found the UP 1995 at Council Bluffs and chased it to Woodbine. Gravel roads did not survive winter very well. Many soft spots. The roads I used to drive 50 mph on were down to 20 or 25 most of the time. Might be time for a Jeep. And the 4887 EB on the fill leading away...
  4. CGW101c

It missed Omaha but there are many concerns again for the Platte River and Elkhorn rivers. I drove by the Platte today and it looks like the BNSF has the span replaced on the Omaha Line but not ready for traffic yet. UP is working on their bridge but it is hidden by the BN construction so I...
  5. CGW101c

IAIS active yesterday. 601 drug a string of tanks cars from the south end. First time I had see a train on the new track to west. The tracks are roughly along the old Wabash and curve around to the old Milw. The last view is of the 601 across 16 Ave on the old Milw now BNSF/IAIS. In the first...
  6. CGW101c

Kind of. They built an enclosed parking lot in the gravel area we used to park in. If you park around the pizza/bakery you can walk close, but even the Amtrak platform is watched and they will ask you nicely not to go on the platform. I think you can park along the east side of the Amtrak lot...
  7. CGW101c

Some I liked from yesterday. It was misty and gray but the trains still ran. The WB UP train came through the south yard and onto the UP. Probably from the Bunge facility south of Council Bluffs on the BNSF. Not sure if the trains can get through Pacific Jct from the north yet. I know people...
  8. CGW101c

Mid West Flooding 2019

Drove down towards Pacific Jct. Iowa. Roads to PJ are closed to sightseers. Tracks on the north entrance(Council Bluffs Sub) not being used. But a ballast train on east end on main line. First pic from Hwy 34 east of I29 looking south, normally a field of crops of some sort. Pacific Jct town...
  9. CGW101c

Looks like the BNSF is running Oreapolis to Ashland again. It'll be a while before they go north into Omaha, I think. Not sure which way Amtrak is running. Saw these three over in Council Bluffs. All three with 3 digit numbers. Very unusual. Actually there is 4. 2 IAIS, 2 BNSF.
  10. CGW101c

A little bit the locos in Council Bluffs.
  11. CGW101c

Mid West Flooding 2019

Here is a small lake near the Platte River north of Oreapolis. Water is receding. UP and BNSF crews working on the 2 bridges. Many detours UP over the BN.
  12. CGW101c

Rivers have subsided a bit but more melting and rain on the way. Lots of rebuilding of roads and railroads is going to have to happen. I haven't heard a train go by for some time and engineer friend of mine has not worked for several days. I think Pacific Junction is the worst at this point for...
  13. CGW101c

Yes. They hosted Amtrak for a number of years until BN decided it was easier to send the trains up to Omaha on the Nebraska side and avoid the UP bridge over the Missouri River.
  14. CGW101c

Further info shows this train as number 6 that had to be backed from Pacific Jct and turned on the new wye at the South end of Council Bluffs, due to high water near P Jct.
  15. CGW101c

In an extremely rare move, flooding caused Amtrak to be routed through Council Bluffs, past the Rock Island Station and on to the old CB&Q. It's been a long time since a passenger train was in town and the first time Amtrak was on the IAIS, as far as I know. First 2 pics are at 15th St. And 3rd...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com